- B.S., Food Engineering, Ege University, Turkey
- M.S., Food Engineering, Izmir Institute of Technology, Turkey
- Ph.D., Agricultural and Biological Engineering, Penn State University, University Park
- Post-Doctoral, Food Science and Technology, University of California, Davis
- Post-Doctoral, Nutrition and Food Science, University of Maryland, College Park
- Post-Doctoral, Food Science, Penn State University, University Park
Prior to joining the Fermentation Sciences at Appalachian State University as a faculty, Dr. Ercan-Oruc has workedin several multidisciplinary research projects during her appointments at Penn State University, UC Davis and University of Maryland. She also worked as a research consultant for a start-up company where she filed a patent application. Her research interests include applications of novel bioreactor designs for the production of value-added products, optimization of fermentation and downstream processes, and applications of immobilization techniques for the fields of food, pharmaceutical, and agriculture. She also focuses on non-thermal sterilization techniques including pulsed-UV and novel photodynamic processes for the enhancement of the safety of fermented foods.
During her academic career, she has taught several courses related to Bioprocess Engineering, Food Biotechnology, and Food Biochemistry. Moreover, during her post-doctoral appointment at Penn State University, she has worked on the development of international food safety and processing training programs for Ukraine and for South and East Africa.
She is a member of Phi Tau Sigma-The Honor Society of Food Science and Technology, Gamma Sigma Delta-Honor Society for Agriculture and Agricultural Sciences, American Society of Agricultural and Biological Engineers, and Institute of Food Technologists.
Office: Edwin Duncan Hall Suite 108 108F
Title: Assistant Professor
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-8138