- Ph.D. Food Science and Technology, Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA), 2021.
- Mentors: Dr. Susan Duncan and Dr. Sean O'Keefe
- M.B.A. in Project Management, University of São Paulo (Piracicaba, Brazil), 2019.
- M.S. Food Science and Technology, Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA), 2016.
- Mentor: Dr. Sean O'Keefe
- B.S. Food Engineering, Federal University of Viçosa (Viçosa, Brazil), 2011.
- Graduate Certificate, Future Professoriate, Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA), 2021.
- Graduate Certificate, Interdisciplinary Water and Health Science, Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA), 2021.
- Research Mentor: Dr. Andrea Dietrich
- Postdoctoral researcher at Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA), Summer 2021.
- Mentor: Dr. Susan Duncan
- Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant at Virginia Tech (Blacksburg, VA), August 2018 - May 2021.
- R&D Project Coordinator/ R&D Analyst at ADM Animal Nutrition, former Neovia Group (Três Corações, Brazil), January 2017 – July 2018.
- Food R&D Intern - Bakery Applications at Cargill Food Innovation Center (Plymouth, MN), Summer 2015.
- Quality Assurance Analyst at Cacau Show (Itapevi, Brazil), January 2012 – July 2014.
- Seasonal Harvest Intern - Lab Technician at Kendall-Jackson Wine Estates (Santa Rosa, CA), August - December 2010.
Dr. Carneiro’s research interests include the application of flavor chemistry, sensory evaluation, and consumer studies to guide sustainable production of innovative, appealing, and high-quality products with economic benefit for local food and beverage industries.
Carneiro, R., Duncan, S., O’Keefe, S., Yu, D., Huang, H., Yin, Y., Neill, C., Zhang, B., Kuhar, T., Rideout, S., Reiter, M., Ross, J., Chen, P., Gillen, A. (2021) Utilizing consumer perception of edamame to guide new variety development. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 4:556580 https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2020.556580
Carneiro, R. C. V., Ye, L., Baek, N., Teixeira, G. H. A., O’Keefe, S. F. (2021). Vine tea (Ampelopsis grossedentata): A review of chemistry composition, functional properties, and potential food applications. Journal of Functional Foods, 76, 104317 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jff.2020.104317
Carneiro, R. C. V., Wang, C., Yu, J., O’Keefe, S. F., Duncan, S. E., Gallagher, C. D., Burlingame, G. A., Dietrich, A.M. (2021). Check-if-apply approach for consumers and utilities to communicate about drinking water aesthetics quality. Science of The Total Environment, 753, 141776 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2020.141776
Carneiro, R. C. V., Duncan, S. E., O’Keefe, S. F., Yin, Y., Neill, C. L., Zhang, B. (2020) Sensory and Consumer studies in plant breeding: A guidance for edamame development in the U.S. Frontiers in Sustainable Food Systems, 4:124 https://doi.org/10.3389/fsufs.2020.00124
Carneiro, R. C. V., Wang, H., Duncan, S. E., & O’Keefe, S. F. (2020). Flavor compounds in vine tea (Ampelopsis grossedentata) infusions. Food Science & Nutrition, fsn3.1754. https://doi.org/10.1002/fsn3.1754
Title: Assistant Professor
Email address: Email me